WPS Faculty & Staff
Christopher BuzbyMusic, Grades 6-12
Christopher Buzby joined the music faculty at WPS in September 2014 following eighteen years as Director of Instrumental Music and 7 years each as Arts Department Chair and 7th Grade Dean at Abington Friends School in Jenkintown, PA.
Chris received a Bachelor of Music degree from Moravian College (Bethlehem, PA) in 1993 and his Master's degree in Music Education from West Chester University (West Chester, PA) in 2005. Chris was also a performing and touring member of The Philadelphia Boys Choir in his early teenage years and currently composes, records, performs and sings in the internationally acclaimed band echolyn, an all-original 5-piece progressive rock band that spent three years signed to Sony Music/Epic Records in the mid-1990's. echolyn has released multiple studio and live albums and still occasionally performs and tours in the US, Canada and Europe.
Chris' professional musical output has earned him praise and mention in multiple Progressive Rock retrospectives and music journals. Most recently, in the November 2012 issue of Keyboard Magazine, several of Chris' echolyn keyboard scores and audio links were published. Chris can also be found online in YouTube videos performing with echolyn, Mike Keneally (of Frank Zappa fame) and giving his own TEDTalk on the topic: Pursuing the Passion Path.
Chris and his wife Alison live in Selbyville, DE and are enjoying life on the Eastern Shore with their sweet 16-year old Whippet, Mona. In addition to music Chris enjoys finance, current events, high performance cars, time with his family at the beach, travel and home & garden projects.
Professional Appearances & Performances:
- TEDTalk titled “Pursuing the Passion Path” (March 2013) Chris Buzby - March, 2013 - TED Talk at AFS
- Guest performance spot with Mike Keneally (former Frank Zappa stunt guitarist) at NEARfest Music Festival (June 2012) Chris Buzby - June, 2012 - Buzby guests with Mike Keneally
- “American Rock and the Classical Music Tradition” by John Covach. From the music journal Contemporary Music Review, Volume 18, Part 4. Analyzing the music and composition style of echolyn and Chris Buzby (pp. 13-61) Published by Harwood Academic Publishers (August 2000)
- “The Progressive Rock Files” by Jerry Lucky. The history of progressive rock including Chris Buzby,echolyn & finneus gauge. Published by Collector’s Guide Publishing Inc. (1998)
- “20th Century Rock and Roll – Progressive Rock” by Jerry Lucky. Essays on the progressive rock movement from 1970 to present day –echolyn feature. Published by Collector’s Guide to Publishing Inc. (1998)
- Keyboard Magazine – Featured artist article with original scores/sound clips (November 2012). Chris Buzby - November, 2012 - Keyboard Magazine article
- December 1998. inneus gauge chosen as “One of the Top 10 Bands in the Progressive Rock Underground”
- Keyboard Magazine - December 1997, Issue #12. finneus gauge “more once more” chosen by editors as “One of the Top 5 Albums of 1997”
- Keyboard Magazine – February 1995, Issue #2 - echolyn album review of “as the world”
- Keyboard Magazine – October 1995, Issue #10 – Featured artist article
- Buzby Composition, Production and Performance Credits: Co-composed, performed, produced, engineered, and mixed two album releases with the band 'finneus gauge' (1997-1999).
Co-composed, performed, co-produced ten studio album and one DVD release with the band 'echolyn' (1991-present)